THE FREDERICK A. DELUCA FOUNDATION, INC. is a private foundation that was created in 1997 by the late Fred DeLuca, co-founder of the global Subway® restaurant chain. The Foundation supports charitable programs that empower people to lead healthy and productive lives. Under the broad umbrella of education, the Foundation focuses its giving in the following areas: Arts Outreach, Workforce Development, Youth Development, Community Health, and Medical Research. The Foundation operates in Fort Lauderdale, where it is making a significant regional impact.
The DeLuca Foundation is seeking a mission-focused, strategic, personable, self-starter to join our collaborative and entrepreneurial team in making a positive impact through philanthropy.
The Grants Manager’s primary responsibilities are to develop new partnerships and manage a portfolio of grants primarily within Broward County. This will involve identifying and evaluating potential future grantees, conducting due diligence, as well as monitoring and overseeing the grantees’ progress and reporting responsibilities. The Grants Manager will report to the foundation Director.
Specific duties include:
- Manage a portfolio of grantees based primarily in Broward County, establishing a close working relationship with key leadership and staff from those organizations;
- Identify new, mission-aligned organizations for potential partnerships across the Foundation’s interest areas;
- Provide advice and support for grantees invited to submit a grant request;
- Review grant proposals, including reports, audited financials, 990s, and other relevant materials provided by applicants or made publicly available;
- Conduct site visits in Broward County and check-in calls/emails to evaluate impact and progress;
- Prepare written grant recommendations for director’s review;
- Identify opportunities for collaboration among the Foundation’s non-profit partners;
- Research and apply best practices in philanthropy, sharing relevant knowledge with the team;
- Keep current on emerging community issues and areas of interest to the Foundation;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date grant files;
- Monitor compliance through check-ins and reports;
- Provide support and suggestions to the foundation executive on ways to improve grant cycle processes;
- Assist in processing approved grants;
- Work collaboratively with operations staff to ensure overall effectiveness of all Foundation functions and that grant-making timelines are met.
- Capture and track specific data about grantees for donor database;
- Prepare grant statistics, reports, and presentations for staff and Board;
- Use grantee data to evaluate organization-specific and Foundation’s philanthropic impact.
Professional Characteristics and Qualifications:
- A strong community relations professional who has a track record of developing and growing effective partnerships with other organizations;
- Foundation/grantmaking experience a plus;
- Familiarity using a grants lifecycle management system and/or CRM system;
- Minimum of 8 years of professional office experience;
- South Florida residence and nonprofit experience in Broward County;
- Must have own vehicle and be willing to drive throughout Broward County for meetings and site visits up to or exceeding 50% of the workweek;
- Ability to represent the Foundation with integrity and professionalism;
- Proven ability to multi-task and manage time well;
- Thrives in fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- Extremely well-organized and detail-oriented;
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications skills;
- Dedication to the Foundation’s Mission;
- Self-starter with track record of accomplishment while working under minimal supervision;
- Demonstrates strategic thinking, a positive attitude, and strong, sound judgement;
- Ability to maintain high degree of discretion and confidentiality.
*Due to the pandemic, and until further notice, Foundation staff are working remotely.
To apply, please email your resume, one-page cover letter, salary requirements, and writing sample (1 - 3 pages) to email@example.com; subject line “Broward Grants Manager.” Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience; health insurance and retirement benefits are provided.
Application deadline: open until filled.