THE FREDERICK A. DELUCA FOUNDATION, INC. is a private foundation that was founded in 1997 by the late Fred DeLuca, co-founder of the global Subway® restaurant chain. The Foundation supports charitable programs that empower people to lead healthy and productive lives. Under the broad umbrella of education, the Foundation focuses its giving in the following areas: Arts Outreach, Workforce Development, Youth Development, Community Health, and Medical Research. The Foundation operates in Fort Lauderdale, where it is seeking to make a significant regional impact in the coming years.
The Grants and Operations Assistant will support and report to the Program Manager to advance the Foundation’s charitable grantmaking programs within the South Florida region and beyond. This position provides an opportunity to experience various aspects of grants administration, foundation operations, and communications. Primary responsibilities include the administration of grants and funded projects, information management, reporting, and developing effective communications for the Board of Directors, Foundation partners, and the broader community.
Specific duties include:
Grants Administration & Information Management
- Implement, streamline, and evaluate grants administration processes;
- Screen grant applications and reporting materials for completeness, and follow up with applicants as needed;
- Record all grantmaking activities with accuracy using online grants management system;
- Oversee the timely processing of approved grants, including preparing cover letters and grant agreements;
- Track and review grantee payments and reports due, sending reminders to grantees and program staff as needed;
- Maintain and update grantmaking procedure manuals and grant cycle timelines;
- Support installation and build-out of online grants management system;
- Attend occasional nonprofit site visits and meetings to record notes and minutes.
- Provide administrative support to the Program Manager and Board of Directors;
- Open, sort, and route all incoming Foundation correspondence and process outgoing mail;
- Answer routine inquiries about the Foundation’s grantmaking programs and priorities, including guidelines and proposal review process;
- Coordinate logistics for community and grantee convenings, and for site visits, as requested.
Reporting & Communications
- Manage data and generate reports from the grants management system;
- Prepare communications and updates for the Board;
- Help develop and implement communications strategies for the Foundation, including web site, newsletter, social media, and print media;
- Take minutes at Board of Director meetings and other Foundation meetings;
- Research and prepare due diligence materials, reports, and PowerPoint presentations on pertinent nonprofits and areas of interest to the Foundation;
- Assist Board President and Program Manager with special projects as needed.
Professional Characteristics and Qualifications:
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, & PowerPoint) skills required;
- Familiarity using a grants lifecycle management system and/or customer relationship management system strongly preferred;
- South Florida residence and nonprofit experience strongly preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years of professional office experience;
- Proven ability to multi-task and manage time well;
- Extremely well-organized and detail-oriented;
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications skills;
- Integrity and dedication to the Foundation’s Mission;
- Self-starter with track record of accomplishment while working under minimal supervision;
- Demonstrates strategic thinking, a positive attitude, and strong, sound judgement;
- Professional and welcoming demeanor both in person and by email or phone;
- Ability to maintain high degree of discretion and confidentiality.
To apply, please email your resume, one-page cover letter, salary requirements, and writing sample (1 - 3 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience; health insurance and retirement benefits are provided.