Together with our donors, our team boldly and proactively transforms our region – and you can too.
For nearly 25 years, Gulf Coast Community Foundation has partnered with generous donors, dedicated community partners, and an innovative team of talented employees who are empowered to identify needs in our community and lead strategic efforts to transform them.
The Staff Accountant helps ensure the integrity of Gulf Coast’s accounting information and is responsible for accounting activities including managing the general ledger, preparing financial reports, and performing monthly account analysis and reconciliations.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure timely and accurate posting of monthly accounting activity to facilitate the monthly closing process
- Receive, process, and acknowledge gifts to Gulf Coast Community Foundation. Create gift acknowledgment letters
- Record contribution checks received and prepare file for uploading into Gift Module of financial system
- Assist in valuing contributions received in the form of securities. Process stock gift journal entries
- Prepare charitable gift annuity payments and update related spreadsheet
- Update locally managed account spreadsheet and prepare corresponding journal entries. Research issues related to locally managed investment accounts and manage billing process for administrative fees and grant payments
- Update fixed assets schedule
- Reconcile bank accounts and research any related issues
- Process and review accounts payable activities and vouchers for accuracy and approvals
- Process prepaid miscellaneous and insurance entries
- Prepare monthly donor statements
- Analyze donor, agency and account information, as needed, to ensure fund accuracy
- Complete necessary filings (property tax return, 1099s, intangible tax return, sales and use tax, etc.)
- Assist with preparation of audit schedules, to provide supporting documents as required by the auditors
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Experience with non-profit accounting and fund accounting a plus
- Commitment to the highest standards of service to internal and external customers
- Strong computer skills including advanced abilities with word processing and spreadsheet applications, presentation software, and database applications
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical skills. Ability to spot trends and patterns in data
- Accurate, intelligent, strategic-thinker
- Ability to recognize confidential information and to handle appropriately
- Ability to understand and communicate the broad goals of Gulf Coast while remaining focused on the detail-oriented work and follow-through
- Ability to work well independently and within a multi-disciplinary professional team environment to manage multiple projects and priorities in the execution of organizational goals
- Enthusiastically live the mission, vision, and values of Gulf Coast Community Foundation
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Three or more years of directly relevant experience
General Physical Requirements
- Sedentary work: exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body
- Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Occasional walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, exerting over 10 pounds of force and recurrent repetitive motion (such as typing) are involved in performing this role
- The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions
- Events may take place off-site and may necessitate exposure to weather elements
WHY WORK HERE?
We recognize the value of our employees and offer a wide-ranging benefits package to encompass your whole well-being. We provide a work-life balance that allows our employees to thrive in the workplace, have fun, and focus on their goals. All of our wellness benefits begin on the first day of the month following 30 days after hire—no long-term waiting. Eligibility for 401(k) plan begins on the first day of the month following 90 days after hire, with competitive matching of 100% up to the first 3%!
When you join Gulf Coast, you join one of the most recognized and respected philanthropic brands in our region. We empower our employees through continuous education, cross-training, and opportunities to become involved in the community we serve. To further professional growth, we have partnered with LinkedIn Learning to offer highly personalized and engaging content and courses.
With our unique and dynamic open-office environment, we thrive through a collaborative approach. You will always feel and be part of a supportive and encouraging team that, together, works proactively to advance our mission. Each new team member works directly with a mentor through a streamlined on-boarding process that empowers you to be successful with us.
Apply and submit resume via Indeed.com: Indeed Staff Accountant