Nonprofits are more important than ever, not only through their various health, human service and educational services, but also in their significant contribution to the overall economy. While there is considerable focus on the public and private sectors of our economy, the nonprofit sector’s economic contributions draw little attention.
The Florida Nonprofit Alliance has commissioned a tailored report that provides an overview of Florida’s nonprofits and their positive economic impact on the state. This critical study provides the state’s elected officials, business community and its nonprofit sector with clear, concise and accurate information on the breadth and financial scope of the nonprofit sector, ultimately providing factual support for the investment in the services and resources nonprofits supply.
Watch the recording below as Florida Nonprofit Alliance Executive Director Sabeen Perwaiz takes a deeper look at the report and how you can apply the findings to your work.
- Understand how the nonprofit sector contributes to statewide employment, its significance and economic contribution to our overall economy.
- Become familiar with the data dashboard and how to access information on social function and the number of nonprofits across the state.
- Learn how to use data to begin conversations and continue discussion about the importance of the nonprofit sector with legislators.
During the webinar and discussion, a number of resources were shared. Please find additional links and contact information below. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions after the webinar.
- Visit Florida Nonprofit Alliance’s Data Dashboard to access data by social function, employment and/or county comparisons.
- As you access this data, remember Sabeen’s key tips on how to use the data to start and continue discussions:
- Use data to highlight the impact in your funding community.
- Show how your grant dollars impact the counties where your grantees are operating.
- Meet with elected officials to share your work, illustrate funding gaps and garner support to preserve the charitable deduction.
- Pair state and county data with individual impact stories for your annual reports.
- Incorporate data into greater storytelling opportunities with business and government sectors, including writing op-eds, leveraging media relationships and empowering board members and stakeholders.
- Learn more about Florida Philanthropic Network
- Learn more about PEAK Grantmaking and see the attached slides for upcoming events with the Florida Chapter.
About the presenter
Executive Director, Florida Nonprofit Alliance
Sabeen Perwaiz is Executive Director of Florida Nonprofit Alliance where she strengthens, promotes and advocates on behalf of Florida’s nonprofit sector. Her career has centered on empowering individuals through education at Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce, Vital Voices Global Partnership and Pace Center for Girls. She is on the board of directors of Jacksonville Arts and Music School, University of North Florida's Engineering School and Atlantic Institute of Jacksonville. She proudly serves on Leadership Jacksonville’s Leadership Development Team. She is also a member of Jacksonville Women's Network and Women’s Giving Alliance.
Sabeen is a 2015 Aspen Ideas Fellow, a 2016 Jacksonville Business Journal’s Women of Influence and a 2017 One Jax Humanitarian award recipient. Educated in New York City, Sabeen holds a degree in psychology from City College of New York and completed her master’s degree in international development at University of Birmingham in Birmingham, England.