In light of Hurricane Dorian’s devastating hit to the Bahamas, Florida Philanthropic Network has compiled a list of resources with the latest information regarding disaster relief and ways to support communities impacted by the storm. Foundations and corporate grantmakers often play an essential role in disaster relief and recovery. These are trying times for people in need—thank you for reviewing this information and for making a difference in the lives of others here in Florida, in the Bahamas and other impacted areas within the Southeast. We plan to update this page with new resources and information on designated funds established to support disaster response and recovery needs. You can help by sending information to email@example.com.
- The Central Florida Foundation has established the Central Florida Disaster Recovery Focus Fund.
- The Community Foundation for Collier County has established a Hurricane Dorian relief page.
- The Community Foundation for Northeast Florida is participating in and encouraging donations to Florida's First Coast Relief Fund.
- The Community Foundation for Palm Beach and Martin Counties has a fund with a donor that will match the first $100,000 of donations to support the Bahamas.
- The Community Foundation of Broward and its community partners have activated their Broward Cares fund for Hurricane Dorian recovery.
- Heart of Florida United Way has a Hurricane Recovery Fund that helps those affected by the devastating storms this hurricane season.
- The Key Biscayne Community Foundation has activated its Emergency Disaster Fund to support organizations in the Bahamas with their recovery efforts.
- The Miami Foundation has a Hurricane Dorian relief page with a number of relief and recovery resources.
- Public Charities Publix Super Markets Charities has made a $250,000 donation to help fund relief efforts. Additionally, customers can donate any amount during checkout at any Publix store.
- The Center for Disaster Philanthropy has launched its CDP 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund, focused on medium- and long-term recovery needs.
- The Disaster Philanthropy Playbook is a compilation of philanthropic strategies, promising practices and lessons learned that help communities be better prepared when a disaster strikes their community. In particular, it is aimed at helping philanthropic organizations and individual donors be more strategic with their investments and recognize the importance of supporting long-term recovery for vulnerable populations.
- The Jessie Ball duPont Fund resource Creating Order from Chaos: Roles for Philanthropy in Disaster Planning and Response provides a framework for steps that can be taken for philanthropy to respond to disasters.
- The Miami Foundation has a Hurricane Dorian Relief Page that features a number of relief and recovery efforts.
- The Center for Disaster Philanthropy has created a Hurricane Dorian disaster profile can be found here, which provides updates on the storm as well as information on the areas of greatest need.
- The New York Times has released an article sharing multiple ways to help Hurricane Dorian Survivors in the Bahamas.
- Charity Navigator has created a list of high-rated organizations providing aid and relief for Hurricane Dorian for both short-term and long-term relief.
- FEMA is a federal partner with FPN and often relies on philanthropy before, during, and after a disaster hits. FEMA's resource page includes up-to-date information about the federal government's response to the storm.
- Volunteer Florida has volunteer opportunities listed from a variety of organizations doing relief efforts.